The cause of headaches can be difficult to determine. The doctor will question you about your headaches and do a physical exam.
Your doctor may perform imaging tests to help determine the cause of your headache, including:
Mar. 18, 2015
- CT scan. CT scans use a computer to create cross-sectional images of your brain and head (including your sinuses) by combining images from an X-ray unit that rotates around your body.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). With MRIs, a magnetic field and radio waves are used to create cross-sectional images of the structures within your brain.
- Patel ZM, et al. Evaluation and management of "sinus headache" in the otolaryngology practice. Otolaryngology Clinics of North America. 2014;47:269.
- Sinusitis. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/ear_nose_and_throat_disorders/nose_and_paranasal_sinus_disorders/sinusitis.html?qt=sinus%20headache&sc=&alt=sh. Accessed Jan. 23, 2015.
- Levine H, et al. Why the confusion about sinus headache? Otolaryngology Clinics of North America. 2014;47:169.
- Sinus infection (sinusitis). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/antibiotic-use/URI/sinus-infection.html. Accessed Jan. 23, 2015.
- Bajwa CH, et al. Headache syndrome other than migraine. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 24, 2015.
- Sinus headaches. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/content/sinus-headaches. Accessed Jan. 23, 2015.
- O'Brien EK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 2, 2015.
- Headache: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/headache/detail_headache.htm#142883138. Accessed Jan. 19, 2015.
- Bajwa ZH, et al. Acute treatment of migraine in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 12, 2015.
- Chai NC, et al. Migraine and estrogen. Current Opinion in Neurology. 2014;27:315.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.