If you carry the sickle cell trait, you may wish to see a genetic counselor before trying to conceive a child. A genetic counselor can help you understand your risk of having a child with sickle cell anemia. He or she can also explain possible treatments, preventive measures and reproductive options.
June 11, 2014
- McCavit TL. Sickle cell disease. Pediatrics in Review 2012;33;195.
- Sickle cell anemia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/sca/. Accessed Nov. 6, 2013.
- Vichinsky EP. Overview of the clinical manifestations of sickle cell disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 6, 2013.
- Vichinsky EP, et al. Diagnosis of sickle cell disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 6, 2013.
- Steinberg MH. In the clinic. Sickle cell disease. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2011;155:ITC3-1.
- Olowoyeye A, et al. Gene therapy for sickle cell disease. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007652.pub3/abstract. Accessed Nov. 6, 2013.
- Dong A, et al. Gene therapy for hemoglobinopathies: Progress and challenges. Translational Research. 2013;161:293.
- Sun K, et al. New insights into sickle cell disease: A disease of hypoxia. Current Opinion in Hematology. 2013;20:215.
- Gladwin MT, et al. Nitric oxide for inhalation in the acute treatment of sickle cell pain crisis: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2011;305:893.
- Adam SS, et al. Potential role for statins in sickle cell disease. Pediatric Blood Cancer. 2013;60:550.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.