Sickle cell anemia is an inherited form of anemia — a condition in which there aren't enough healthy red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen throughout your body.
Normally, your red blood cells are flexible and round, moving easily through your blood vessels. In sickle cell anemia, the red blood cells become rigid and sticky and are shaped like sickles or crescent moons. These irregularly shaped cells can get stuck in small blood vessels, which can slow or block blood flow and oxygen to parts of the body.
There's no cure for most people with sickle cell anemia. However, treatments can relieve pain and help prevent further problems associated with sickle cell anemia.
Jun. 11, 2014
- McCavit TL. Sickle cell disease. Pediatrics in Review 2012;33;195.
- Sickle cell anemia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/sca/. Accessed Nov. 6, 2013.
- Vichinsky EP. Overview of the clinical manifestations of sickle cell disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 6, 2013.
- Vichinsky EP, et al. Diagnosis of sickle cell disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 6, 2013.
- Steinberg MH. In the clinic. Sickle cell disease. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2011;155:ITC3-1.
- Olowoyeye A, et al. Gene therapy for sickle cell disease. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007652.pub3/abstract. Accessed Nov. 6, 2013.
- Dong A, et al. Gene therapy for hemoglobinopathies: Progress and challenges. Translational Research. 2013;161:293.
- Sun K, et al. New insights into sickle cell disease: A disease of hypoxia. Current Opinion in Hematology. 2013;20:215.
- Gladwin MT, et al. Nitric oxide for inhalation in the acute treatment of sickle cell pain crisis: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2011;305:893.
- Adam SS, et al. Potential role for statins in sickle cell disease. Pediatric Blood Cancer. 2013;60:550.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.