Your history and symptoms are usually all your doctor needs to make a diagnosis. If you have severe symptoms, you may have blood or imaging tests to check for the effects of the venom on your liver, heart, lungs and other organs.
Jan. 23, 2014
- LoVecchio F. Scorpion stings in the United States and Mexico. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 4, 2013.
- Bawaskar HS, et al. Scorpion sting update. Journal of the Association of Physicians of India. 2012;60:46.
- Viswanathan S, et al. Scorpion sting nephropathy. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation Plus. 2011;4:376.
- Antidote relieves scorpion stings. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm266515.htm. Accessed July 4, 2013.
- What to do in a medical emergency: Bites and stings. American College of Emergency Physicians Foundation. http://www.emergencycareforyou.org/EmergencyManual/WhatToDoInMedicalEmergency/Default.aspx?id=210#spider_bites_and_scorpion_stings. Accessed July 4, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.