Schizoid personality disorder is an uncommon condition in which people avoid social activities and consistently shy away from interaction with others. It affects more males than females. If you have schizoid personality disorder, you may be seen as a loner, and you may lack the desire or skill to form close personal relationships.
To others, you may appear somewhat dull or humorless. Because you don't tend to show emotion, you may appear as though you don't care about what's going on around you. Although you may seem aloof, you may actually feel lonely, even if it's hard for you to acknowledge. Or you may feel much more at ease being alone, and feel comfortable with your life.
The cause of schizoid personality disorder is unknown. Therapy and — in some cases — medications can help.
Jul. 27, 2013
- Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2008. http://www.psychiatryonline.com/resourceToc.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Personality disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://dsm.psychiatryonline.org/content.aspx?bookid=556§ionid=41101784#10344200. Accessed June 18, 2013.
- Ebert MH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Psychiatry. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=10. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Skodol A, et al. Approaches to the therapeutic relationship in patients with personality disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 27, 2013.
- Stern TA, et al. Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04743-2..50041-X--cesec5&isbn=978-0-323-04743-2&sid=1451253590&uniqId=414361381-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04743-2..50041-X--cesec8. Accessed April 27, 2013.
- Gabbard GO. Gabbard's Treatments of Psychiatric Disorders. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2007. http://psychiatryonline.org/content.aspx?bookid=4§ionid=1341864. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Triebwasser J, et al. Schizoid personality disorder. Journal of Personality Disorders. 2012;26:919.
- Feldman MD, et al. Behavioral Medicine: A Guide for Clinical Practice. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=6441825. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Palmer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 17, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.