Because sarcoidosis normally involves the lungs, you may be referred to a lung specialist (pulmonologist) to manage your care.
What you can do
Here's some information to help you get ready for your appointment and know what to expect from your doctor:
- Write down your symptoms, including when they started and how they may have changed or worsened over time.
- Take a list of all your medications, vitamins or supplements.
- Write down your key medical information, including other diagnosed conditions.
- Write down questions to ask your doctor.
What to expect from your doctor
Be ready to answer questions your doctor may ask:
- What types of symptoms are you experiencing? When did they start?
- Have you ever been exposed to environmental toxins, perhaps in a manufacturing or farming job?
- Do you know if anyone in your family has ever had sarcoidosis?
- What types of medical conditions have you had in the past?
- What types of medications or supplements do you take?
Jan. 22, 2016
- Ferri FF. Sarcoidosis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 28, 2015.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Sarcoidosis. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 28, 2015.
- Baughman RP, et al. A concise review of pulmonary sarcoidosis. American Journal of Respiratory and Clinical Care Medicine. 2011;183:573.
- AskMayoExpert. Sarcoidosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- O'Regan A, et al. Sarcoidosis. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2012;156:ICT5.
- Morgenthau AS, et al. Recent advances in sarcoidosis. Chest. 2011;139:174.
- Sanchez M, et al. Sarcoidosis. Dermatologic Clinics. 2015;33:389.
- Statement on sarcoidosis. Joint Statement of the American Thoracic Society (ATS), the European Respiratory Society (ERS) and the World Association of Sarcoidosis and Other Granulomatous Disorders (WASOG). American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.1999;160:736.
- Sah BP, et al. Novel pharmacotherapy of sarcoidosis. Pharmacology & Therapeutics. In press. Accessed Nov. 5, 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Sarcoidosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.