It's not clear what causes salivary gland cancer.
Doctors know salivary gland cancer occurs when some cells in a salivary gland develop mutations in their DNA. The mutations allow the cells to grow and divide rapidly. The mutated cells continue living when other cells would die. The accumulating cells form a tumor that can invade nearby tissue. Cancerous cells can break off and spread (metastasize) to distant areas of the body.
Types of salivary gland cancer
Many different types of salivary gland cancer exist. Doctors classify salivary gland cancer based on the type of cells involved in the tumor. The type of salivary gland cancer you have helps your doctor determine which treatment options are best for you.
Types of salivary gland cancer include:
April 22, 2015
- Acinic cell carcinoma
- Adenoid cystic carcinoma
- Clear cell carcinoma
- Malignant mixed tumor
- Mucoepidermoid carcinoma
- Oncocytic carcinoma
- Polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma
- Salivary duct carcinoma
- Squamous cell carcinoma
- Salivary gland cancer treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/salivarygland/healthprofessional. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Flint PW, et al. Malignant neoplasms of the salivary glands. In: Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Head and neck cancers. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Dry mouth or xerostomia. Cancer.Net. http://www.cancer.net/navigating-cancer-care/side-effects/dry-mouth-or-xerostomia. Accessed April 3, 2015.
- Cancer-related fatigue. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 17, 2014.
- Laurie SA. Salivary gland tumors: Epidemiology, diagnosis, evaluation and staging. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 6, 2015.
- Moynihan TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 6, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.