If your child has a condition affecting his or her scalp, you'll likely start by seeing your family doctor or child's pediatrician. You may be referred to a skin specialist (dermatologist).
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions, such as:
- When did you first notice symptoms?
- What did the scalp look like when symptoms first appeared?
- Is the rash painful or itchy?
- What, if anything, makes the condition better or worse?
- Do you have any pets at home, or has your child been around farm animals?
- Does another family member or a pet already have ringworm?
- Do you know of any cases of ringworm in your child's school?
Questions for your doctor
Questions you might be prepared to ask your doctor include:
Feb. 21, 2014
- If this is ringworm, what can we do to prevent the infection from spreading?
- What hair care routines do you recommend while the condition heals?
- When can my child return to school?
- Should I schedule a follow-up appointment for my child?
- Should I make appointments for my other children even if they aren't showing signs or symptoms right now?
- Dermatophytes. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/fungal/dermatophytes. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology. 6th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=45. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Goldstein AO, et al. Dermatophyte (tinea) infections. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=40. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 17, 2013.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.