Retrograde ejaculation doesn't affect your ability to get an erection or have an orgasm — but when you climax, semen goes into your bladder instead of coming out of your penis. Retrograde ejaculation signs and symptoms include:
- Dry orgasms, orgasms in which you ejaculate very little or no semen out of your penis
- Urine that is cloudy after orgasm (because it contains semen)
- Inability to get a woman pregnant (male infertility)
When to see a doctor
Retrograde ejaculation isn't harmful and requires treatment only if you're attempting to father a child. However, if you have dry orgasms, see your doctor to be sure your condition isn't caused by an underlying problem that needs attention.
If you and your partner have had regular, unprotected intercourse for a year or longer and have been unable to conceive, see your doctor. Retrograde ejaculation may be the cause of your problem if you ejaculate very little or no semen.
Jan. 30, 2014
- Ferri FF. Clinical Advisor 2014. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 9, 2013.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 9, 2013.
- Ohl DA, et al. Anejaculation and retrograde ejaculation. Urologic Clinics of North America. 2008;35:211.
- Jefferys A, et al. The management of retrograde ejaculation: a systematic review and update. Fertility and Sterility. 2012;97:306.
- Siassakos D, et al. Male infertility. American Urological Association. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=102&display=1. Accessed Aug. 9, 2013.
- Barnas JL, et al. The prevalence and nature of orgasmic dysfunction after radical prostatectomy. BJU International. 2004;94:603.
- Ten questions to ask before having an operation. American College of Surgeons. http://www.facs.org/patienteducation/patient-resources/surgery/tenquestions.html. Accessed Aug. 19, 2013.
- Speak up: Become a partner in your healthcare. National Institutes of Health. http://newsinhealth.nih.gov/2007/May/docs/01features_02.htm. Accessed Aug. 19, 2013.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 26, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.