Pyoderma gangrenosum usually starts with a small, red bump on your skin, which may resemble a spider bite. Within days, this bump can develop into a large, painful open sore. The ulcers usually appear on your legs, but may develop anywhere on your body. If you have several ulcers, they may grow and merge into one larger ulcer.
When to see a doctor
Talk to your doctor if you develop unexplained blistering on your skin, an itchy rash or a sore that's slow to heal.
Nov. 27, 2012
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed Sept. 20, 2012.
- Moschella SL. Neutrophilic dermatoses. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 20, 2012.
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Sept. 20, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Sept. 20, 2012.
- Dabade TS, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of the neutrophilic dermatoses (pyoderma gangrenosum, Sweet's syndrome). Dermatologic Therapy. 2011;24:273.
- Miller J, et al. Pyoderma gagrenosum: A review and update on new therapies. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2010;62:646.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 27, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.