Pulmonary valve stenosis symptoms vary, depending on the extent to which the valve is obstructed. People with mild pulmonary stenosis will usually not have any symptoms. Those with more significant stenosis often first notice symptoms while exercising.
Pulmonary valve stenosis signs and symptoms may include:
- Heart murmur — an abnormal whooshing sound heard using a stethoscope, caused by turbulent blood flow
- Shortness of breath, especially during exertion
- Chest pain
- Loss of consciousness (fainting)
When to see a doctor
Talk to your doctor if you or your child experiences the following:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
If you have pulmonary stenosis or another heart problem, prompt evaluation and treatment can help reduce your risk of complications.
Dec. 06, 2011
- Keane MG, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of pulmonic stenosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Sept. 8, 2011.
- Pulmonic stenosis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/cardiovascular_disorders/valvular_disorders/pulmonic_stenosis.html. Accessed Sept. 14, 2011.
- Webb GD, et al. Congenital heart disease. In: Bonow RO, et al. Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0398-6..C2009-0-59734-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0398-6&about=true&uniqId=236798031-10. Accessed Sept. 14, 2011.
- What is heart valve disease? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/hvd/. Accessed Sept. 8, 2011.
- Bittl JA. Natural history and treatment of pulmonic stenosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Sept. 8, 2011.
- Connolly HM. Carcinoid heart disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Sept. 8, 2011.
- ACC/AHA 2008 guidelines for the management of adults with congenital heart disease. Washington, D.C. and Dallas, Tex.: American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2008;52:e143.