Risk factors for proctitis include:
June 12, 2015
- Unsafe sex. Practices that increase your risk of a sexually transmitted infection (STI) can increase your risk of proctitis. Your risk of contracting an STI increases if you have multiple sex partners, don't use condoms and have sex with a partner who has an STI.
- Inflammatory bowel diseases. Having an inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease) increases your risk of proctitis.
- Radiation therapy for cancer. Radiation therapy directed at or near your rectum (such as for rectal, ovarian or prostate cancer) increases your risk of proctitis.
- Proctitis. National Institute for Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/proctitis/index.htm. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- Lake AM. Food protein-induced proctitis/colitis and enteropathy of infancy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- Proctitis. Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal-disorders/anorectal-disorders/proctitis. Accessed April 29, 2015.
- Wu X, et al. Pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management of ulcerative proctitis, chronic radiation proctopathy, and diversion proctitis. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. 2015;21:703.
- Hoentjen F, et al. Infectious proctitis: When to suspect it is not inflammatory bowel disease. Digestive Diseases and Sciences. 2012;57:269.
- Mendenhall WM, et al. Management of radiation proctitis. American Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2014;37:517.
- Sarin A, et al. Management of radiation proctitis. Gastroenterology Clinics of North America. 2013;42: 913.
- Kent A, et al. Managing intractable proctitis and the problematic pouch. Digestive Diseases. 2014;32:427.
- Nostrant TT. Clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment of radiation proctitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 29, 2015.
- Feldman M, et al. Ulcerative colitis. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 29, 2015.
- What Is Anemia? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/anemia. Accessed May 8, 2015.
- Shen B. Diversion colitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 10, 2015.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. May 19, 2015.