Although the average progression of primary lateral sclerosis (PLS) lasts around 20 years, the disease has highly variable effects from person to person. Some people may be able to continue to walk, but others will eventually need to use wheelchairs or other assistive devices.
Adult PLS isn't thought to shorten life expectancy, but it may gradually affect the quality of your life as more muscles become disabled. Weaker muscles may cause you to fall more, which may result in injuries.
July 12, 2013
- NINDS primary lateral sclerosis information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/primary_lateral_sclerosis/primary_lateral_sclerosis.htm. Accessed April 23, 2013.
- Daroff RB, et al. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0434-1..C2009-0-40427-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0434-1&uniqId=364938937-2. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Singer MA, et al. Primary lateral sclerosis. Muscle and Nerve. 2007;35:291.
- Juvenile primary lateral sclerosis. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/juvenile-primary-lateral-sclerosis/show/. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Brugman F, et al. Adult-onset primary lateral sclerosis is not associated with mutations in the ALS2 gene. Neurology. 2007;69:702.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed April 29, 2013.
- Motor neuron diseases fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/motor_neuron_diseases/motor_neuron_diseases.htm. Accessed April 23, 2013.
- Almeida V, et al. Primary lateral sclerosis: Predicting functional outcome. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Degeneration. 2013;14:141.
- Iwata NK, et al. White matter alterations differ in primary lateral sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Brain. 2011;134:2642.
- Treatments and therapies. Spastic Paraplegia Foundation Inc. http://sp-foundation.org/understanding-hsp-pls/treatments-and-therapies/. Accessed May 1, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.