Complications caused by a primary immunodeficiency disorder vary, depending on what type you have. They can include:
Jan. 20, 2015
- Recurrent infections
- Autoimmune disorders
- Damage to heart, lungs, nervous system or digestive tract
- Slowed growth
- Increased risk of cancer
- Death from serious infection
- Primary immunodeficiency. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publications/pubs/Pages/primary_immuno.aspx. Accessed Nov. 23, 2014.
- About primary immunodeficiencies. Immune Deficiency Foundation. http://primaryimmune.org/about-primary-immunodeficiencies/. Accessed Dec. 2, 2014.
- Pasternack MS. Approach to the adult with recurrent infections. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 23, 2014.
- Stiehm ER. Approach to the child with recurrent infections. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 23, 2014.
- Primary immunodeficiency diseases. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/primary-immunodeficiency-disease.aspx. Accessed Nov. 23, 2014.
- Berger M. Immune globulin therapy in primary immunodeficiency. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 23, 2014.
- General care. Immune Deficiency Foundation. http://primaryimmune.org/about-primary-immunodeficiencies/relevant-info/general-care/. Accessed Nov. 3, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.