Complications caused by a primary immunodeficiency disorder vary, depending on what particular disorder you have. They can include:
Jul. 30, 2013
- Recurrent infections
- Autoimmune disorders
- Damage to heart, lungs, nervous system or digestive tract
- Slowed growth
- Increased risk of cancer
- Death from serious infection
- Primary immunodeficiency. Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publications/pubs/Pages/primary_immuno.aspx. Accessed May 20, 2013.
- Blaese R, et al. Patient and Family Handbook for Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases. 4th ed. Towson, Md.: Immune Deficiency Foundation; 2007. http://primaryimmune.org/about-primary-immunodeficiency-diseases/idf-publications/patient-family-handbook. Accessed May 20, 2013.
- Primary immunodeficiency diseases. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/primary-immunodeficiency-disease.aspx. Accessed May 20, 2013.
- Papadopoulou-Alataki E, et al. Prevention of infection of children and adolescents with primary immunodeficiency disorders. Asian Pacific Journal of Allergy and Immunology. 2012;30:249.
- Pasternak MS. Approach to the adult with recurrent infections. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 20, 2013.
- Bonilla FA. Medical management of immune deficiency. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 20, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.