Doctors generally base a diagnosis of prescription drug abuse on medical history and answers to other questions. In some cases, certain signs and symptoms also provide clues.
Blood or urine tests can detect many types of drugs. These tests can also help track the progress of a person who's getting treatment.
Dec. 05, 2014
- Parran TV. Prescription drug abuse and addiction: Clinical features, epidemiology, and contributing factors. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- NIDA DrugFacts: Prescription and over-the-counter medications. National Institute on Drug Abuse. http://www.drugabuse.gov/infofacts/PainMed.html. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- Epidemic: Responding to America's prescription drug abuse crisis. Office of National Drug Control Policy. http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/drugfact/prescrptn_drgs/rx_ff.html. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- Commonly abused prescription drugs. Office of National Drug Control Policy. http://www.drugabuse.gov/DrugPages/PrescripDrugsChart.html. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- Prescription drugs: Abuse and addiction. National Institute on Drug Abuse. http://www.drugabuse.gov/researchreports/prescription/prescription6.html. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- Gunter WD, et al. Desisting from prescription drug abuse: An application of growth models to Rx opioid users. Journal of Drug Issues. 2012;42:82.
- Prescription drug abuse. The Nemours Foundation. http://kidshealth.org/teen/drug_alcohol/drugs/prescription_drug_abuse.html. Accessed Aug. 24, 2012.
- Colson J, et al. Office-based opioid dependence treatment. Pain Physician. 2012;15:ES231.
- Disposal of unused medicines: What you should know. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/EnsuringSafeUseofMedicine/SafeDisposalofMedicines/ucm186187.htm#MEDICINES. Accessed Sept. 27, 2012.
- Koechl B, et al. Age-related aspects of addiction. Gerontology. In press. Accessed Aug. 24, 2012.
- Sehgal N, et al. Prescription opioid abuse in chronic pain: A review of opioid abuse predictors and strategies to curb opioid abuse. Pain Physician. 2012;15:ES67.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 5, 2012.
- Schneekloth TD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 19, 2012.
- Intervention — Tips and guidelines. National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence. http://www.ncadd.org/index.php/for-friends-and-family/intervention. Accessed Sept. 28, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.