Presbyopia develops gradually. You may first notice these signs and symptoms after age 40:
- A tendency to hold reading material farther away to make the letters clearer
- Blurred vision at normal reading distance
- Eyestrain or headaches after reading or doing close work
You may notice these symptoms are worse if you're tired, have had alcohol or are in an area with dim lighting.
When to see a doctor
If you're having difficulty reading or doing close work, or if blurry close-up vision is keeping you from enjoying normal activities, see an eye doctor. He or she can determine whether you have presbyopia and advise you of your options.
Sep. 30, 2011
- Mian SI. Visual impairment in adults: Refractive disorders and presbyopia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 7, 2011.
- Optometric clinical practice guideline: Care of the patient with presbyopia. American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/documents/CPG-17.pdf. Accessed Aug. 7, 2011.
- Policy statement: Frequency of eye exams. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/CE/PracticeGuidelines/ClinicalStatements_Content.aspx?cid=810eaf61-181e-41c8-a0e8-e1d122efe5a4. Accessed Aug. 7, 2011.
- Preferred practice pattern: Refractive errors & refractive surgery. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/CE/PracticeGuidelines/PPP_Content.aspx?cid=e6930284-2c41-48d5-afd2-631dec586286. Accessed Aug. 7, 2011.
- Garcia-Gonzalez M, et al. Visual outcomes of LASIK-induced monovision in myopic patients with presbyopia. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2010;150:381.
- What is LASIK? U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/LASIK/ucm061358.htm. Accessed Aug. 8, 2011.
- Alternative refractive surgery procedures. EyeSmart. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/glasses-contacts-lasik/refractive-surgery-alternative-procedures.cfm. Accessed Aug. 8, 2011.
- Kubal AA. Multifocal versus accommodating intraocular lenses: A review of the current technology, outcomes, and complications. International Ophthalmology Clinics. 2011;51:131.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 24, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.