Premature ejaculation occurs when a man ejaculates sooner during sexual intercourse than they or their partner would like. As long as it happens infrequently, it's not cause for concern. However, if you regularly ejaculate sooner than you and your partner wish — such as before intercourse begins or shortly afterward it can be considered premature ejaculation.
Premature ejaculation is a common sexual complaint. Estimates vary, but as many as 1 out of 3 men may be affected by this problem at some time.
Both psychological and biological factors can play a role in premature ejaculation. Although many men feel embarrassed to talk about it, premature ejaculation is a common and treatable condition.
Medications, psychological counseling and sexual techniques that delay ejaculation can improve sex for you and your partner. For many men, a combination of treatments works best.
Feb. 24, 2011
- Mehta A, et al. Ejaculation disorders. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/120705265-3/804926975/1701/189.html#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04134-8..50008-2--subchapter5_3989. Accessed Nov. 13, 2010.
- Diaz VA, et al. Male sexual dysfunction. Primary Care Clinics in Office Practice. 2010;37:473.
- Lue TF, et al. Evaluation and nonsurgical management of erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. In: Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7216-0798-6..50024-8--cesec104&isbn=978-0-7216-0798-6&sid=1082841620&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7216-0798-6..50024-8--cesec104&uniqId=226471491-7#4-u1.0-B978-0-7216-0798-6..50024-8--cesec104. Accessed Nov. 13, 2010.
- Althof SE, et al. International Society for Sexual Medicine's Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Premature Ejaculation. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2010;7:2947.
- Brotto LA, et al. Yoga and sexual functioning: A review. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy. 2009;35:378.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 16, 2010.