The same healthy lifestyle changes recommended to treat prehypertension also help prevent high blood pressure. You've heard it before — eat healthy foods, use less salt, exercise regularly, maintain a healthy weight, drink less alcohol and quit smoking. But take the advice to heart. Start adopting healthier habits today.
June 23, 2015
- What is high blood pressure? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hbp. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. How is hypertension classified? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- James PA, et al. 2014 evidence-based guideline for the management of high blood pressure in adults: Report from the panel members appointed to the Eighth Joint National Committee (JNC 8). JAMA. 2014;311:507.
- Kaplan NM. Prehypertension. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for high blood pressure: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force reaffirmation recommendation statement. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2007;147:783.
- Kaplan NM, et al. Overview of hypertension in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 8, 2015.
- Understand your risk for high blood pressure. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/UnderstandYourRiskforHighBloodPressure/Understand-Your-Risk-for-High-Blood-Pressure_UCM_002052_Article.jsp. Accessed May 8, 2015.
- Kaplan NM, et al. Diet in the treatment and prevention of hypertension. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 8, 2015.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-PolicyDocument.htm. Accessed May 8, 2015.
- 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.health.gov/PAGUIDELINES/guidelines/default.aspx. Accessed May 8, 2015.
- Bushman B. Promoting exercise as medicine for prediabetes and prehypertension. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2014;13:233.
- Collier SR, et al. Treatment of prehypertension: Lifestyle and/or medication. Vascular Health and Risk Management. 2012;8:613.
- Sheps SG. 5 Steps to Controlling High Blood Pressure. 2nd ed. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Clinic; 2015.
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring and white coat hypertension in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 19, 2015.
- Sheps SG (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 19, 2015.