Possible complications of precocious puberty include:
Jan. 02, 2014
- Short height. Children with precocious puberty may grow quickly at first and be tall, compared with their peers. But, because their bones mature more quickly than normal, they often stop growing earlier than usual. This can cause them to be shorter than average as adults. Early treatment of precocious puberty, especially when it occurs in very young children, can help them grow taller than they would without treatment.
- Social and emotional problems. Girls and boys who begin puberty long before their peers may be extremely self-conscious about the changes occurring in their bodies. This may affect self-esteem and increase the risk of depression or substance abuse.
- Saenger P. Definition, etiology and evaluation of precocious puberty. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Precocious puberty. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec19/ch282/ch282h.html. Accessed Aug. 27, 2013.
- Saenger P. Treatment of precocious puberty. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Melmed S, et al. Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Burt Solarzano CM, et al. Obesity and pubertal transition in girls and boys. Reproduction. 2010;140:399.
- Tolson KP, et al. The changes they are a-timed: Metabolism, endogenous clocks and the timing of puberty. Frontiers in Endocrinology. 2012;3:1.
- Fuqua JS. Treatment and outcomes of precocious puberty: An update. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2013;98:2198.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.