If you've already been discharged from the hospital after childbirth and your health care provider suspects that you have postpartum preeclampsia, you might need to be readmitted to the hospital. Postpartum preeclampsia is usually diagnosed with lab tests:
Apr. 26, 2012
- Blood tests. These tests can determine how well your liver and kidneys are functioning and whether your blood has a normal number of platelets — the cells that help blood clot.
- Urinalysis. Your health care provider might test a sample of your urine to see if it contains protein.
- Al-Safi Z, et al. Delayed postpartum preeclampsia and eclampsia. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2011;118:1102.
- Delayed postpartum preeclampsia: An experience of 151 cases. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2004;190:1464.
- Yancey LM, et al. Postpartum preeclampsia: Emergency department presentation and management. The Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2011;40:380.
- Andrus SS, et al. Postpartum preeclampsia occurring after resolution of antepartum preeclampsia. The Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2010;38:168.
- Ascarelli MH, et al. Postpartum preeclampsia management with furosemide: A randomized clinical trial. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2005;105:29.
- Sibai BM, et al. Diagnosis and management of atypical preeclampsia-eclampsia. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2009;200:481.e1.
- Berens P. Overview of postpartum care. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 1, 2012.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1528/0.html. Accessed March 2, 2012.
- Your guide to breastfeeding. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/breastfeeding-guide. Accessed Feb. 24, 2012.
- Norwitz ER, et al. Preeclampsia: Management and prognosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Pregnancy: Your guide to lowering high blood pressure. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/issues/preg/preg.htm. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- August P, et al. Clinical features and diagnosis of preeclampsia. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Steegers EA, et al. Pre-eclampsia. The Lancet. 2010;376:631.
- Sibai B. HELLP syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Norwitz ER. Eclampsia. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary. 32nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders; 2011. http://dorlands.com/index.jsp. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Larsen WI, et al. Risk factors for late postpartum preeclampsia. Journal of Reproductive Medicine. 2012;57:35.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 7, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.