Limited research suggests that risk factors for postpartum preeclampsia might include:
- High blood pressure during your most recent pregnancy (hypertensive disease). You're at increased risk of postpartum preeclampsia if you developed high blood pressure after 20 weeks of pregnancy (gestational hypertension).
- Obesity. The risk of postpartum preeclampsia is higher if you're obese.
- Family history. Having a first-degree relative — a parent or sibling — with a history of preeclampsia increases your risk of preeclampsia.
- Age. Women who are younger than 20 or older than 40 are at increased risk of preeclampsia.
- Having multiples. Having twins or more babies increases your risk of preeclampsia.
Recent studies suggest that the father's genes may play a role in an increased risk of preeclampsia.
Mar. 21, 2015
- Adams JG. Emergency Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- August P, et al. Clinical features and diagnosis of preeclampsia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- Clark TP. Late-onset postpartum preeclampsia: A case study. The Nurse Practitioner. 2014;39:34.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- Magee LA, et al. Diagnosis, evaluation, and management of the Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy: Executive Summary. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada. 2014;36:416.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- Roberts JM, et al. Hypertension in pregnancy: Report of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists' Task Force on Hypertension in Pregnancy. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2013;122:1122.
- Wick MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 27, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.