Complications of postpartum preeclampsia include:
- Postpartum eclampsia. Postpartum eclampsia is essentially postpartum preeclampsia plus seizures. Postpartum eclampsia can permanently damage vital organs, including your brain, liver and kidneys. Left untreated, postpartum eclampsia can cause coma. In some cases, the condition is fatal.
- Pulmonary edema. This life-threatening lung condition occurs when excess fluid develops in the lungs.
- Stroke. A stroke occurs when the blood supply to part of the brain is interrupted or severely reduced, depriving brain tissue of oxygen and food. A stroke is a medical emergency.
- Thromboembolism. Thromboembolism is the blockage of a blood vessel by a blood clot that travels from another part of the body. This condition is also a medical emergency.
- HELLP syndrome. HELLP syndrome — which stands for hemolysis (the destruction of red blood cells), elevated liver enzymes and low platelet count — can be life-threatening.
As with preeclampsia, postpartum preeclampsia might also increase your risk of future cardiovascular disease.
March 21, 2015
- Adams JG. Emergency Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- August P, et al. Clinical features and diagnosis of preeclampsia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- Clark TP. Late-onset postpartum preeclampsia: A case study. The Nurse Practitioner. 2014;39:34.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- Magee LA, et al. Diagnosis, evaluation, and management of the Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy: Executive Summary. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada. 2014;36:416.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- Roberts JM, et al. Hypertension in pregnancy: Report of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists' Task Force on Hypertension in Pregnancy. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2013;122:1122.
- Wick MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 27, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.