The signs and symptoms of polymyalgia rheumatica usually occur on both sides of the body and may include:
- Aches or pain in your shoulders (often the first symptom)
- Aches or pain in your neck, upper arms, buttocks, hips or thighs
- Stiffness in affected areas, particularly in the morning or after being inactive for a long time, such as a long car ride
- Limited range of motion in affected areas
- Pain or stiffness in wrists or knees (less common)
You may also have more general signs and symptoms, including:
- Mild or low-grade fever
- A general feeling of not being well (malaise)
- Loss of appetite
- Unintended weight loss
When to see a doctor
See your doctor if you experience aches, pains or stiffness that:
Jul. 20, 2012
- Is new
- Disrupts your sleep
- Limits your ability to do activities of daily living, such as getting dressed or going up and down stairs
- Hunder GG. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of polymyalgia rheumatica. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed May 9, 2012.
- Salvarani C, et al. Polymyalgia rheumatica and giant-cell arteritis. The Lancet. 2008;372:234.
- Gonzalez-Gay MA, et al. Medical management of polymyalgia rheumatica. Expert Opinion in Pharmacotherapy. 2010;11:1077.
- Hunder GG. Treatment of polymyalgia rheumatica. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed May 9, 2012.
- Hernandez-Rodriguez J, et al. Treatment of polymyalgia rheumatica. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2009;169:1839.
- Unwin B, et al. Polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis. American Family Physician. 2006;74:1547.
- Glucocorticosteroid-induced osteoporosis. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/practice/clinical/patients/diseases_and_conditions/gi-osteoporosis.asp. Accessed May 9, 2012.
- Aikawa NE, et al. Anti-TNF therapy for polymyalgia rheumatica: Report of 99 cases and review of the literature. Clinical Rheumatology. 2012;31:575.
- Chang-Miller A (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 15, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.