DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Polymyalgia rheumatica is an inflammatory disorder that causes muscle pain and stiffness, especially in the shoulders. Symptoms of polymyalgia rheumatica (pol-e-my-AL-juh rue-MAT-ih-kuh) usually begin quickly and are worse in the morning. Most people who develop polymyalgia rheumatica are older than 65. It rarely affects people under 50.
You may receive symptom relief by taking anti-inflammatory drugs called corticosteroids. But relapses are common, and you'll need to visit your doctor regularly to watch for serious side effects of these drugs.
Polymyalgia rheumatica is related to another inflammatory disorder called giant cell arteritis, which can cause headaches, vision difficulties, jaw pain and scalp tenderness. It's possible to have both of these conditions together.
Sept. 17, 2015
- Kermani TA, et al. Polymyalgia rheumatica. The Lancet. 2013;381:63.
- AskMayoExpert. Polymyalgia rheumatica. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Bhaskar D, et al. 2012 provisional classification criteria for polymyalgia rheumatica: A European League Against Rheumatism/American College of Rheumatology collaborative initiative. Arthritis & Rheumatism. 2012;64:943.
- Kermani TA, et al. Advances and challenges in the diagnosis and treatment of polymyalgia rheumatica. Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Disease. 2014;6:8.
- Wyand CM, et al. Giant-cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014;371:50.
- Salvarani C, et al. Clinical features of polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis. Nature Reviews Rheumatology. 2012;8:509.
- Matteson EL, et al. Diagnosis and assessment of polymyalgia rheumatica: A step forward. Aging Health. 2012;8:395.
- Aikawa NE, et al. Anti-TNF therapy for polymyalgia rheumatica: Report of 99 cases and review of the literature. Clinical Rheumatology. 2012;31:575.
- Glucocorticosteroid-induced osteoporosis. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/practice/clinical/patients/diseases_and_conditions/gi-osteoporosis.asp. Accessed May 1, 2015.
- Saag KG, et al. Major side effects of systemic glucocorticoids. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 7, 2015.
- Colditz GA. Healthy diet in adults. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2015.
- Dejaco C, et al. 2015 recommendations for the management of polymyalgia rheumatic. Arthritis & Rheumatology. 2015;67:2569.