Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is an inherited disorder in which clusters of cysts develop primarily within your kidneys, causing your kidneys to enlarge and lose function over time. Cysts are noncancerous round sacs containing fluid. The cysts vary in size, and they can grow very large. Having many cysts or large cysts can damage your kidneys.
Polycystic kidney disease also can cause cysts to develop in your liver and elsewhere in your body. The disease can cause serious complications, including high blood pressure and kidney failure.
PKD varies greatly in its severity, and some complications are preventable. Lifestyle changes and treatments might help reduce damage to your kidneys from complications.
Polycystic kidney disease care at Mayo Clinic
July 13, 2017
- Polycystic kidney disease. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/polycystic/. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Chapman AB, et al. Course and treatment of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Polycystic kidney disease. American Kidney Fund. http://www.kidneyfund.org/kidney-disease/other-kidney-conditions/polycystic-kidney-disease.html?&gclid=Cj0KEQiA3Y7GBRD29f-7kYuO1-ABEiQAodAvwGAsS7ELsM8hNXkbCPt3pE8hsRp-kijSf4UAs-ZmPVgaArPQ8P8HAQ. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Bennett WM, et al. Extrarenal manifestations of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Polycystic kidney disease. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/polycystic. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Torres VE, et al. Diagnosis and screening for autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Albert CM, et al. Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease: The changing face of clinical management. The Lancet. 2015;385:1993.
- Rossetti S, et al. Identification of gene mutations in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease through targeted resequencing. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2012;23:915.
- Torres VE, et al. Strategies targeting cAMP signaling in the treatment of polycystic kidney disease. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2014; 25:18.
- Shoaf SE, et al. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of Tolvaptan in autosomal dominat polycystic kidney disease: Phase 2 trials for dose selection in the pivotal phase 3 trial. The Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. In press. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Hogan MC, et al. Somatostatin analog therapy for severe polycystic liver disease: Results after 2 years. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2012;27:3532.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 24, 2017.
Polycystic kidney disease