For polycystic kidney disease, certain tests can detect the size and number of kidney cysts you have and evaluate the amount of healthy kidney tissue, including:
June 14, 2014
- Ultrasound exam. During an ultrasound, a wand-like device called a transducer is placed on your body. It emits inaudible sound waves that are reflected back to the transducer — like sonar. A computer translates the reflected sound waves into images of your kidneys.
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan. As you lie on a movable table, you're guided into a big doughnut-shaped device that projects very thin X-ray beams through your body. Your doctor is able to see cross-sectional images of your kidneys.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan. As you lie inside a large cylinder, magnetic fields and radio waves generate cross-sectional views of your kidneys.
- Polycystic kidney disease. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/polycystic/. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Alpern RJ, et al. Seldin and Giebisch's The Kidney. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Polycystic kidney disease. Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/polycystic.cfm . Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Taal MW, et al. Brenner & Rector's The Kidney. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 26, 2014.
- Devuyst O, et al. Osmoregulation, vasopressin, and cAMP signaling in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension. 2013;22:459.
- Rossetti S, et al. Identification of gene mutations in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease through targeted resequencing. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2012;23:915.
- Torres VE, et al. Strategies targeting cAMP signaling in the treatment of polycystic kidney disease. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2014; 25:18.
- Torres VE, et al. Tolvaptan in patients with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012;367:2407.
- Hogan MC, et al. Somatostatin analog therapy for severe polycystic liver disease: Results after 2 years. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2012;27:3532.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix /Scottsdale, Ariz. April 6, 2014.
- Heilman RL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. April 7, 2014.