Tests and diagnosisBy Mayo Clinic Staff
For polycystic kidney disease, certain tests can detect the size and number of kidney cysts you have and evaluate the amount of healthy kidney tissue, including:
June 14, 2014
- Ultrasound exam. During an ultrasound, a wand-like device called a transducer is placed on your body. It emits inaudible sound waves that are reflected back to the transducer — like sonar. A computer translates the reflected sound waves into images of your kidneys.
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan. As you lie on a movable table, you're guided into a big doughnut-shaped device that projects very thin X-ray beams through your body. Your doctor is able to see cross-sectional images of your kidneys.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan. As you lie inside a large cylinder, magnetic fields and radio waves generate cross-sectional views of your kidneys.
- Polycystic kidney disease. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/polycystic/. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Alpern RJ, et al. Seldin and Giebisch's The Kidney. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Polycystic kidney disease. Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/polycystic.cfm . Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Taal MW, et al. Brenner & Rector's The Kidney. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 26, 2014.
- Devuyst O, et al. Osmoregulation, vasopressin, and cAMP signaling in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension. 2013;22:459.
- Rossetti S, et al. Identification of gene mutations in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease through targeted resequencing. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2012;23:915.
- Torres VE, et al. Strategies targeting cAMP signaling in the treatment of polycystic kidney disease. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2014; 25:18.
- Torres VE, et al. Tolvaptan in patients with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012;367:2407.
- Hogan MC, et al. Somatostatin analog therapy for severe polycystic liver disease: Results after 2 years. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2012;27:3532.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix /Scottsdale, Ariz. April 6, 2014.
- Heilman RL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. April 7, 2014.