If you have polycystic kidney disease and you're considering having children, a genetic counselor can help you assess your risk of passing the disease to your offspring.
Keeping your kidneys as healthy as possible may help prevent some of the complications of this disease. One of the most important ways you can protect your kidneys is by managing your blood pressure.
Here are some tips for keeping your blood pressure in check:
Jun. 14, 2014
- Take the blood pressure medications prescribed by your doctor as directed.
- Eat a low-salt diet containing plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Ask your doctor what the right weight is for you.
- Quit smoking, if you're a smoker.
- Exercise regularly. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity most days of the week.
- Polycystic kidney disease. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/polycystic/. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Alpern RJ, et al. Seldin and Giebisch's The Kidney. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Polycystic kidney disease. Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/polycystic.cfm . Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Taal MW, et al. Brenner & Rector's The Kidney. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 26, 2014.
- Devuyst O, et al. Osmoregulation, vasopressin, and cAMP signaling in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension. 2013;22:459.
- Rossetti S, et al. Identification of gene mutations in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease through targeted resequencing. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2012;23:915.
- Torres VE, et al. Strategies targeting cAMP signaling in the treatment of polycystic kidney disease. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2014; 25:18.
- Torres VE, et al. Tolvaptan in patients with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012;367:2407.
- Hogan MC, et al. Somatostatin analog therapy for severe polycystic liver disease: Results after 2 years. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2012;27:3532.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix /Scottsdale, Ariz. April 6, 2014.
- Heilman RL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. April 7, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.