Placenta accreta often causes no symptoms during pregnancy — although vaginal bleeding during the third trimester is possible.
If you experience vaginal bleeding during your third trimester, contact your health care provider right away. If the bleeding is severe, seek emergency care.
May. 24, 2012
- Resnik R. Diagnosis and management of placenta accreta. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 21, 2012.
- Weeks A. Diagnosis and management of retained placenta after vaginal birth. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 21, 2012.
- DeCherney AH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Obstetrics & Gynecology. 10th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=9. Accessed March 21, 2012.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Your Pregnancy and Childbirth Month to Month. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; 2010:373.
- Silverman F, et al. Management of the third stage of labor. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 21, 2012.
- Jauniaux E, et al. Placenta accreta: Pathogenesis of 20th century iatrogenic uterine disease. Placenta. 2012;33:244.
- Marc I, et al. Mind-body interventions during pregnancy for preventing or treating women's anxiety (review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007559.pub2/abstract. Accessed March 26, 2012.
- Gielchinksy Y, et al. Placenta accreta - Summary of 10 years: A survey of 310 cases. Placenta. 2002;23:210.
- Wright JD, et al. Predictors of massive blood loss in women with placenta accrete. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2011;205:38.e1.
- Eller AG. Optimal management strategies for placenta accreta. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2009;116:648.
- Danforth's Obstetrics and Gynecology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008:1.
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine. Placenta accreta. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. 2010;203:430.
- Frequently asked questions. Special procedures FAQ 008. Hysterectomy. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq008.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20120326T1355412038. Accessed March 26, 2012.
- Gielchinksy Y, et al. Perinatal outcomes of pregnancies complicated by placenta accrete. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2004;104:527.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 28, 2012.