Certain factors can make you more susceptible to developing pilonidal cysts. These include:
Dec. 05, 2012
- Inactive lifestyle
- Occupation or sports requiring prolonged sitting
- Excess body hair
- Stiff or coarse hair
- Poor hygiene
- Sullivan DJ, et al. Pilonidal disease. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Oct. 3, 2012.
- Pilonidal disease. American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. http://www.fascrs.org/patients/conditions/pilonidal_disease. Accessed Oct. 3, 2012.
- Harris CL, et al. Twelve common mistakes in pilonidal sinus care. Advances in Skin & Wound Care. 2012;25:324.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Oct. 3, 2012.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Oct. 3, 2012.
- Townsend CM Jr, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1565/0.html. Accessed Oct. 3, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.