If your peripheral nerve tumor is benign, your Mayo Clinic doctor will recommend either observation or surgery.
Your doctor may recommend observation if your tumor is in a place that makes removal difficult or if the tumor is small and causes no problems. Observation includes regular checkups and imaging tests to see if your tumor is growing.
More commonly, your doctor will recommend surgery to remove the tumor. After surgery, you may need physical rehabilitation. Your doctor may use a brace or splint to keep your arm or leg in a position that helps you to heal.
If you're having pain, your doctor may prescribe a pain medication or recommend an over-the-counter drug such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) or aspirin.
Mayo Clinic physical therapists and occupational therapists can guide you through specific exercises that keep your muscles and joints active, prevent stiffness, and help to restore your function and feeling.
Oct. 11, 2014
- Ellison D, et al. Neuropathology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Limited; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 11, 2014.
- Ahlawat S, et al. Magnetic resonance neurography of peripheral nerve tumors and tumorlike conditions. Neuroimaging Clinics of North America. 2014;24:171.
- Gilchrist JM, et al. Peripheral nerve tumors. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 11, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 19, 2014.
- Neurofibromatosis. American Academy of Neurology. http://tools.aan.com/apps/disorders/index.cfm?event=database:disorder.view&disorder_id=1010. Accessed Aug. 13, 2014.
- Winn HR. Youman's Neurological Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 11, 2014.
- What is an acoustic neuroma? The Acoustic Neuroma Association. https://www.anausa.org/what-is-an-an. Accessed Aug. 13, 2014.
- Spinner RJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 19, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.