For most mild cases of pericarditis, rest and over-the-counter pain medications — taken under your doctor's direction — may be all that's needed. While you recuperate, avoid rigorous physical activity. Strenuous activity can trigger pericarditis symptoms. Ask your doctor how long you need to take it easy.
Apr. 06, 2014
- Shammas NW, et al. Pericarditis, myocarditis, and other cardiomyopathies. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2013;40:213.
- What is pericarditis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/peri/. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- What is pericarditis? American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/What-is-Pericarditis_UCM_444931_Article.jsp#. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- Imazio M. Clinical presentation and diagnostic evaluation of acute pericarditis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- Acute coronary syndromes. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- Crawford MH, ed. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Cardiology. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.; The McGraw Hill Companies: 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=8. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- Imazio M. Treatment of acute pericarditis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- Lilly LS. Treatment of acute and recurrent idiopathic pericarditis. Circulation. 2013;127:1723.
- Imazio M, et al. A randomized trial of colchicines for acute pericarditis. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;369:1522.
- Khandaker MH, et al. Pericardial disease: Diagnosis and management. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2010;85:572.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.