Doctors diagnose pelvic inflammatory disease based on signs and symptoms, a pelvic exam, an analysis of vaginal discharge and cervical cultures, or urine tests.
During the pelvic exam, your doctor uses a cotton swab to take samples from your vagina and cervix. The samples are sent to a lab for analysis to determine the organism that's causing the infection.
To confirm the diagnosis or to determine how widespread the infection is, your doctor may recommend other tests, such as:
May. 01, 2014
- Ultrasound. This test uses sound waves to create images of your reproductive organs.
- Endometrial biopsy. During this procedure, your doctor removes a small piece of your uterine lining (endometrium) for testing.
- Laparoscopy. During this procedure, your doctor inserts a thin, lighted instrument through a small incision in your abdomen to view your pelvic organs.
- Mitchell C, et al. Pelvic inflammatory disease — Current concepts in pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment. Infectious Disease Clinics of North America. 2013;27:793.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease fact sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/pid/stdfact-pid.htm. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Klausner JD, et al., Klausner J.D., Hook E.W., III eds. Current Diagnosis & Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Diseases. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http:// http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=369. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- Trent M. Pelvic inflammatory disease. Pediatrics in Review. 2013;34:163.
- Livengood CH, et al. Clinical features and diagnosis of pelvic inflammatory disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.