About half of adults are immune to parvovirus infection, most likely because of a previous, unnoticed, childhood infection. People who are at risk of severe parvovirus complications might benefit from blood tests that can help determine if they're immune to parvovirus or if they've recently become infected.
Apr. 12, 2012
- Fifth disease. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..C2009-0-38601-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&uniqId=291436269-101. Accessed Dec. 29, 2011.
- Young NS. Parvovirus. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Dec. 29, 2011.
- Parvovirus B19. American Academy of Pediatrics Red Book Online. http://aapredbook.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/2009/1/3.92?maxtoshow=&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=parvovirus&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&fdate=1/1/2009&tdate=1/31/2009&resourcetype=HWCIT. Accessed Dec. 29, 2011.
- Parvovirus B19 (Fifth disease). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/respiratory/parvo_b19.htm.Accessed Dec. 29, 2011.
- de Jong EP, et al. Parvovirus B19 infection in pregnancy: New insights and management. Prenatal Diagnosis. 2011;31:419.
- Parvovirus B19 infection and pregnancy. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/respiratory/b19&preg.htm. Accessed Dec. 29, 2011.
- Brown KE. The expanding range of parvoviruses which infect humans. Reviews in Medical Virology. 2010;20:231.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.