Expertise and experience. Mayo Clinic doctors have expertise and experience in evaluating and treating people with Parkinson's disease and other nervous system (neurological) conditions. Doctors trained in movement disorders evaluate and treat people with Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders.
Mayo Clinic doctors evaluate and treat about 4,400 people with Parkinson's disease each year.
- Teamwork. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in nervous system conditions (neurologists), nervous system surgery (neurosurgeons) and other areas collaborate to provide your care.
Treatment expertise. Parkinson's disease can't be cured, but your doctor will work with you to help you manage your condition. Your doctor will tailor your treatment to your individual needs depending on the severity of your condition, your age and the presence of other medical conditions.
Mayo Clinic doctors have expertise treating Parkinson's disease with several options, including medications and deep brain stimulation.
- Research leaders. Mayo Clinic movement disorder specialists study genetics, diagnosis, and treatment options for people with Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders. You may have the opportunity to participate in research studies.
Watch Mayo Clinic neurologist J. Eric Ahlskog, M.D., Ph.D., describe Parkinson's disease treatment on YouTube.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery.
July 07, 2015
- Longo DL, et al. Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed April 6, 2015.
- Parkinson's disease: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/parkinsons_disease/detail_parkinsons_disease.htm. Accessed April 6. 2015.
- Ferri FF. Parkinson's disease. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 6, 2015.
- Chou KL. Diagnosis of Parkinson disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 6. 2015.
- Tarsy D. Pharmacologic treatment of Parkinson disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 6. 2015.
- Adler CH, et al. Submandibular gland needle biopsy for the diagnosis of Parkinson disease. Neurology. 2014;82:858.
- Bousquet M, et al. Impact of omega-3 fatty acids in Parkinson's disease. Ageing Research Reviews. 2011;10:453.
- Parkinson's disease: Fitness counts. National Parkinson Foundation. http://www.parkinson.org/Search-Pages/Search.aspx?pKeywords=fitness. Accessed April 9, 2015.
- Parkinson's disease. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed April 6, 2015.
- Tarsy D. Nonpharmacologic management of Parkinson disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home/. Accessed April 6, 2015.
- Complementary therapies and Parkinson's. Parkinson's Disease Society of the United Kingdom. http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/content/complementary-therapies-and-parkinsons-booklet. Accessed April 9, 2015.
- Jankovic J. Etiology and pathogenesis of Parkinson disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 6, 2015.
- Riggs EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 16, 2015.
- Abbvie announces U.S. approval of duopa (carbidopa and levodopa) enteral suspension for the treatment of motor fluctuations in patients with advanced Parkinson's disease. http://abbvie.mediaroom.com/2015-01-12-AbbVie-Announces-U-S-FDA-Approval-of-DUOPA-carbidopa-and-levodopa-Enteral-Suspension-for-the-Treatment-of-Motor-Fluctuations-in-Patients-with-Advanced-Parkinsons-Disease. Accessed April 20, 2015.
- Bower JH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 20, 2015.