Mayo Clinic doctors trained in nervous system conditions (neurologists) and other specialties conduct extensive research in genetics, causes, new diagnostic tests, and treatments for Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders. For example, Mayo researchers have found that testing a person's saliva gland may be a way to diagnose Parkinson's disease.
Doctors study potential causes and possible treatments for Parkinson's disease. Doctors also conduct research in deep brain stimulation to treat Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders. You may have the opportunity to participate in research studies or clinical trials.
Read more about research in:
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on Parkinson's disease on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Read about Mayo Clinic publications regarding:
- Charles H. Adler, M.D., Ph.D.
- J. Eric Ahlskog, M.D., Ph.D.
- Eduardo E. Benarroch, M.D.
- Joanna M. Biernacka, Ph.D.
- James H. Bower, M.D.
- John N. Caviness, M.D.
- Dennis W. Dickson, M.D.
- Erika D. Driver-Dunckley, M.D.
- Julie A. Fields, Ph.D., L.P.
- Kendall H. Lee, M.D., Ph.D.
- Joseph Y. Matsumoto, M.D.
- Pamela J. McLean, Ph.D.
- Leonard Petrucelli, Ph.D.
- Rosa Rademakers, Ph.D.
- Elliott Richelson, M.D.
- Walter A. Rocca, M.D.
- Owen A. Ross, Ph.D.
- Wolfdieter Springer, Ph.D.
- Ryan J. Uitti, M.D.
- Jay A. Van Gerpen, M.D.
- Robert E. Wharen Jr., M.D.
- Zbigniew K. Wszolek, M.D.
- Shu-Hui C. Yen, Ph.D.
May 28, 2014
Watch Mayo Clinic neurologist Charles Adler, M.D., Ph.D. discuss a saliva test for Parkinson's disease.
- Parkinson's disease: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/parkinsons_disease/parkinsons_disease.htm. Accessed Aug. 8, 2013.
- Chou KL. Clinical manifestations of Parkinson disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 8, 2013.
- Jankovic J. Etiology and pathogenesis of Parkinson disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 8, 2013.
- Chou KL. Diagnosis of Parkinson disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 8, 2013.
- Tarsy D. Pharmacologic treatment of Parkinson disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 8, 2013.
- Tarsy D. Surgical treatment of Parkinson disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 8, 2013.
- Tarsy D. Nonpharmacologic management of Parkinson disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home/. Accessed Aug. 8, 2013.
- Ahlskog JE. Does vigorous exercise have a neuroprotective effect in Parkinson disease? Neurology. 2011;77:288.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com/. Accessed Aug. 12, 2013.
- Parkinson's disease: Fitness counts. National Parkinson Foundation. http://www.parkinson.org/Search-Pages/Search.aspx?pKeywords=fitness. Accessed Aug. 12, 2013.
- Mischley LY, et al. Coenzyme Q10 deficiency in patients with Parkinson's disease. Journal of the Neurological Sciences. 2012;318:72.
- Li F., et al. Tai chi and postural stability in patients with Parkinson's disease. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2012;366:511.
- Complementary therapies and Parkinson's. Parkinson's Disease Society of the United Kingdom. http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/content/complementary-therapies-and-parkinsons-booklet. Accessed Aug. 12, 2013.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 13, 2013.
- Saliva gland test for Parkinson's shows promise, study finds. Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2013-sct/7249.html. Accessed Aug. 15, 2013.
- Ahlskog JE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 5, 2013.