Mayo Clinic doctors trained in nervous system conditions (neurologists) and other specialties conduct extensive research in genetics, causes, new diagnostic tests, and treatments for Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders. For example, Mayo researchers have found that testing a person's saliva gland may be helpful in confirming a diagnosis of Parkinson's disease, and as a tool for researchers to understand how Parkinson's disease develops.
Doctors study potential causes and possible treatments for Parkinson's disease. Doctors also conduct research in deep brain stimulation to treat Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders. You may have the opportunity to participate in research studies or clinical trials.
Read more about research in:
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on Parkinson's disease on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Read about Mayo Clinic publications regarding:
- Charles H. Adler, M.D., Ph.D.
- J. Eric Ahlskog, M.D., Ph.D.
- Eduardo E. Benarroch, M.D.
- Joanna M. Biernacka, Ph.D.
- James H. Bower, M.D.
- John N. Caviness, M.D.
- Dennis W. Dickson, M.D.
- Erika D. Driver-Dunckley, M.D.
- Julie A. Fields, Ph.D., L.P.
- Anhar Hassan, M.B., B.CH.
- Bryan T. Klassen, M.D.
- Kendall H. Lee, M.D., Ph.D.
- Joseph Y. Matsumoto, M.D.
- Pamela J. McLean, Ph.D.
- Shyamal H. Mehta, M.D., Ph.D.
- Leonard Petrucelli, Ph.D.
- Rosa Rademakers, Ph.D.
- Elliott Richelson, M.D.
- Walter A. Rocca, M.D.
- Owen A. Ross, Ph.D.
- Wolfdieter Springer, Ph.D.
- Ryan J. Uitti, M.D.
- Jay A. Van Gerpen, M.D.
- Robert E. Wharen Jr., M.D.
- Zbigniew K. Wszolek, M.D.
- Shu-Hui C. Yen, Ph.D.
July 07, 2015
Watch Mayo Clinic neurologist Charles Adler, M.D., Ph.D. discuss a saliva test for Parkinson's disease on YouTube.
- Longo DL, et al. Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed April 6, 2015.
- Parkinson's disease: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/parkinsons_disease/detail_parkinsons_disease.htm. Accessed April 6. 2015.
- Ferri FF. Parkinson's disease. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 6, 2015.
- Chou KL. Diagnosis of Parkinson disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 6. 2015.
- Tarsy D. Pharmacologic treatment of Parkinson disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 6. 2015.
- Adler CH, et al. Submandibular gland needle biopsy for the diagnosis of Parkinson disease. Neurology. 2014;82:858.
- Bousquet M, et al. Impact of omega-3 fatty acids in Parkinson's disease. Ageing Research Reviews. 2011;10:453.
- Parkinson's disease: Fitness counts. National Parkinson Foundation. http://www.parkinson.org/Search-Pages/Search.aspx?pKeywords=fitness. Accessed April 9, 2015.
- Parkinson's disease. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed April 6, 2015.
- Tarsy D. Nonpharmacologic management of Parkinson disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home/. Accessed April 6, 2015.
- Complementary therapies and Parkinson's. Parkinson's Disease Society of the United Kingdom. http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/content/complementary-therapies-and-parkinsons-booklet. Accessed April 9, 2015.
- Jankovic J. Etiology and pathogenesis of Parkinson disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 6, 2015.
- Riggs EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 16, 2015.
- Abbvie announces U.S. approval of duopa (carbidopa and levodopa) enteral suspension for the treatment of motor fluctuations in patients with advanced Parkinson's disease. http://abbvie.mediaroom.com/2015-01-12-AbbVie-Announces-U-S-FDA-Approval-of-DUOPA-carbidopa-and-levodopa-Enteral-Suspension-for-the-Treatment-of-Motor-Fluctuations-in-Patients-with-Advanced-Parkinsons-Disease. Accessed April 20, 2015.
- Bower JH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 20, 2015.