- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in nervous system conditions (neurologists), cancer (oncologists) and other specialties have experience evaluating and treating people with paraneoplastic syndromes. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in the nervous and immune systems (neuroimmunology) diagnose and treat paraneoplastic autoimmune neurological disorders, autoimmune neurological disorders and neurosarcoidosis.
- Team approach. Mayo Clinic doctors work together to diagnose and treat your condition.
- Diagnostic tests. Mayo Clinic doctors use many tests to diagnose paraneoplastic syndromes. Tests may include blood tests, spinal taps, positron emission tomography (PET), computerized tomography (CT), PET-CT, magnetic resonance imaging and others.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors study potential diagnostics tools and treatments for paraneoplastic syndromes and conduct clinical trials. Mayo Clinic researchers discovered the antibody tests that are used to diagnose paraneoplastic syndromes.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked high performing for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Mar. 03, 2011
- NINDS paraneoplastic syndrome information page. National Institutes of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/paraneoplastic/paraneoplastic.htm. Accessed Oct. 4, 2010.
- Dalmau J, et al. Paraneoplastic neurologic syndromes. In: Abeloff M, et al., eds. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingston Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/221079415-3/1062999853/1709/56.html#4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06694-8..50055-5--cesec11_1589. Accessed Oct. 4, 2010.
- Pelosof LC, et al. Paraneoplastic syndromes: An approach to diagnosis and treatment. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2010;85:838.
- Toothaker TB, et al. Paraneoplastic neurological syndromes: A review. Neurologist. Jan 2009;15:21.
- Dalmau J, et al. Paraneoplastic syndromes of the CNS. Lancet Neurology. 2008;7:327.
- Giglio P, et al. Neurologic complications of cancer and its treatment. Current Oncology Reports. 2010;12:50a.
- NINDS Isaac's syndrome information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/Isaacs_syndrome/Isaacs_syndrome.htm. Accessed Oct. 5, 2010.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Oct. 5, 2010.
- Therapeutic hematheresis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec11/ch146/ch146f.html. Accessed Oct. 7, 2010.
- Passive immunization. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec14/ch169/ch169c.html?qt=immunoglobulin&alt=sh. Accessed Oct. 7, 2010.
- McKeon A, et al. Positron emission tomography-computed tomography in paraneoplastic neurologic disorders: Systematic analysis and review. Archives of Neurology. 2010;67:322.
- Pittock SJ, et al. Paraneoplastic Autoimmunity Affecting the Nervous System. In: Baehring JM, et al., eds. Brain Tumors: Practical Guide to Diagnosis and Management. New York, N.Y.: Informa Healthcare; 2007:515.
- Lachance DH, et al. Paraneoplastic neurological autoimmunity. In: Kalman B, et al., eds. Neuroimmunology in Clinical Practice. Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley-Blackwell; 2007:210.
- Harper CM, et al. Lambert-Eaton syndrome. In: Kaminski HJ. Current Clinical Neurology: Myasthenia Gravis and Related Disorders. Totowa, N.J.: Humana Press; 2009:269.
- Pittock SJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 14, 2010.