The best way to avoid pseudocysts is to avoid pancreatitis, which is usually caused by gallstones or heavy use of alcohol. If gallstones are triggering pancreatitis, you may need to have your gallbladder removed. If your pancreatitis is due to alcohol use, abstaining from alcohol can reduce your risk.
Sept. 08, 2012
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed July 11, 2012.
- Samuelson AL, et al. Endoscopic management of pancreatic pseudocysts. Gastroenterology Clinics of North America. 2012;41:47.
- Megibow AJ, et al. The incidental pancreatic cyst. Gastroenterology Clinics of North America. 2011;49:349.
- Dewhurst CE, et al. Cystic tumors of the pancreas: Imaging and diagnosis. Gastroenterology Clinics of North America. 2012;59:467.
- Khan A, et al. Cystic lesions of the pancreas. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2011;196:W668.
- Habashi S, et al. Pancreatic pseudocyst. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2009;15:38.
- AskMayoExpert. How common are pancreatic lesions? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. When should patients with pancreatic cystic lesions be referred for subspecialty evaluation? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. When are patients with mucinous cystic neoplasms considered for operative or interventional procedures? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.