A medical evaluation for dyspareunia usually consists of:
Jan. 24, 2015
A thorough medical history. Your doctor may ask when your pain began, exactly where it hurts, how it feels, and if it happens with every sexual partner and every sexual position. Your doctor may also inquire about your sexual history, surgical history and previous childbirth experiences.
Don't let embarrassment stop you from giving candid answers. These questions provide clues to the cause of your pain.
A pelvic exam. During a pelvic exam, your doctor can check for signs of skin irritation, infection or anatomical problems. He or she may also try to identify the location of your pain by applying gentle pressure to your genitals and pelvic muscles.
A visual exam of your vagina, using an instrument called a speculum to separate the vaginal walls, may be performed as well. Some women who experience painful intercourse are also uncomfortable during a pelvic exam, no matter how gentle the doctor is. You can ask to stop the exam at any time if it's too painful.
- Other tests. If your doctor suspects certain causes of painful intercourse, he or she might also recommend a pelvic ultrasound.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 6, 2014.
- Ebert MH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Psychiatry. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=10. Accessed Dec. 8, 2014.
- Stewart EG. Differential diagnosis of sexual pain in women. http://www.uptodate.com/home/. Accessed Dec. 8, 2014.
- Lenz GM, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinickey.com. Accessed Dec. 6, 2014.
- Dyspareunia. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gynecology_and_obstetrics/sexual_dysfunction_in_women/dyspareunia.html?qt=dyspareunia&alt=sh. Accessed Dec. 8, 2014.
- Bachmann G, et al. Treatment of vaginal atrophy. http://www.uptodate.com/home/. Accessed Dec. 8, 2014.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 9, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.