Although there's no definite way to prevent the growth of ovarian cysts, regular pelvic examinations are a way to help ensure that changes in your ovaries are diagnosed as early as possible. In addition, be alert to changes in your monthly cycle, including symptoms that may accompany menstruation that aren't typical for you or that persist over more than a few cycles. Talk with your doctor about any changes that concern you.
Jul. 29, 2011
- Ovarian cysts. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp075.cfm. Accessed June 10, 2011.
- Katz VL. Benign gynecologic lesions: Vulva, vagina, cervix, uterus, oviduct, ovary. In: Katz VL, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?sid=1169048731&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-02951-3..50021-2--cesec52&isbn=978-0-323-02951-3&uniqId=257973966-4. Accessed June 10, 2011.
- Dankakas GT, et al. Ovarian Neoplasm, Benign. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed June 10, 2011.
- Givens V, et al. Diagnosis and Management of Adnexal Masses. American Family Physician. 2009;80:815.
- Hoffman MS. Overview of the evaluation and management of adnexal masses. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed June 10, 2011.
- Gallenberg MM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 13, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.