Signs and symptoms of osteochondritis dissecans may include:
- Pain. The most common symptom of osteochondritis dissecans, pain may be triggered by physical activity — walking up stairs, climbing a hill or playing sports.
- Joint popping or locking. Your joint may pop or get stuck in one position if a loose fragment gets caught between bones during movement.
- Joint weakness. You may feel that your joint is "giving way" or weakening.
- Decreased range of motion. You may be unable to straighten your leg or arm completely.
- Swelling and tenderness. The skin around your joint may become swollen and tender.
When to see a doctor
If you have persistent pain or soreness in your knee, elbow or another joint, see your doctor. Other signs and symptoms that should prompt a call or visit to your doctor include joint swelling or an inability to move a joint through its full range of motion.
Sep. 21, 2012
- Skinner HB, ed. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Orthopedics. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2006. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2315794. Accessed Aug. 4, 2012.
- Chambers HG, et al. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons clinical practice guideline on: The diagnosis and treatment of osteochondritic dissecans. Rosemont, Ill.: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://www.aaos.org/research/guidelines/OCDGuideline.asp. Accessed Aug. 3, 2012.
- Moktassi A, et al. Imaging of osteochondritis dissecans. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2012;43:201.
- Greiwe RM, et al. Pediatric sports elbow injuries. Clinics in Sports Medicine. 2010;29:677.
- Knee problems. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Knee_Problems/default.asp#15. Accessed Aug. 4, 2012.
- Vannini F, et al. "One step" treatment of juvenile osteochondritis dissecans in the knee: Clinical results and T2 mapping characterization. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2012;43:237.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.