Adolescents participating in organized sports may benefit from education on the risks to their joints associated with overuse. Learning the proper mechanics and techniques of their sport and participating in strength training and stability training exercises may help reduce the chance of injury.
Sep. 21, 2012
- Skinner HB, ed. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Orthopedics. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2006. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2315794. Accessed Aug. 4, 2012.
- Chambers HG, et al. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons clinical practice guideline on: The diagnosis and treatment of osteochondritic dissecans. Rosemont, Ill.: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://www.aaos.org/research/guidelines/OCDGuideline.asp. Accessed Aug. 3, 2012.
- Moktassi A, et al. Imaging of osteochondritis dissecans. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2012;43:201.
- Greiwe RM, et al. Pediatric sports elbow injuries. Clinics in Sports Medicine. 2010;29:677.
- Knee problems. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Knee_Problems/default.asp#15. Accessed Aug. 4, 2012.
- Vannini F, et al. "One step" treatment of juvenile osteochondritis dissecans in the knee: Clinical results and T2 mapping characterization. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2012;43:237.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.