Signs and symptoms of throat cancer may include:
- A cough
- Changes in your voice, such as hoarseness or not speaking clearly
- Difficulty swallowing
- Ear pain
- A lump or sore that doesn't heal
- A sore throat
- Weight loss
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you notice any new signs and symptoms that are persistent. Most throat cancer symptoms aren't specific to cancer, so your doctor will likely investigate other more common causes first.
Oct. 01, 2015
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Cancer of the head and neck. In: Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Flint PW, et al. Malignant tumors of the larynx. In: Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Head and neck cancers. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Laryngeal cancer treatment. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/types/head-and-neck/patient/laryngeal-treatment-pdq. Accessed Sept. 9. 2015.
- Hypopharyngeal cancer treatment. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/types/head-and-neck/patient/hypopharyngeal-treatment-pdq. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Oropharyngeal cancer treatment. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/types/head-and-neck/patient/oropharyngeal-treatment-pdq. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Langevin SM, et al. Gastric reflux is an independent risk factor for laryngopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. 2013;22:1061.
- AskMayoExpert. Head and neck cancers. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Freedman ND, et al. Fruit and vegetable intake and head and neck cancer risk in a large United States prospective cohort study. International Journal of Cancer. 2008;122:2330.
- Deng GE, et al. Evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for integrative oncology: Complementary therapies and botanicals. Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology. 2009;7:85.
- HPV vaccines. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/hpv/vaccine.html. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 17, 2015.