PreventionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
There's no guaranteed way to prevent oppositional defiant disorder. However, positive parenting and early treatment can help improve behavior and prevent the situation from getting worse. The earlier that ODD can be managed, the better.
Treatment can help restore your child's self-esteem and rebuild a positive relationship between you and your child. Your child's relationships with other important adults in his or her life — such as teachers, community supports and care providers — also will benefit from early treatment.
Feb. 06, 2015
- Oppositional defiant disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Nov. 20, 2014.
- Highlights of changes from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5. American Psychiatric Publishing. http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Gabbard GO. Textbook of Psychotherapeutic Treatments. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2014. http://psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.books.9781585625048.gg40. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 6th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2014. http://www.psychiatryonline.org/resourceToc.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Facts for families: Children with oppositional defiant disorder. American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. http://www.aacap.org/aacap/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/Facts_for_Families_Pages/Children_With_Oppositional_Defiant_Disorder_72.aspx. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Oppositional defiant disorder guide. American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. http://www.aacap.org/aacap/Families_and_Youth/Resource_Centers/Oppositional_Defiant_Disorder_Resource_Center/Home.aspx. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Tervo RC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 16, 2014.
- Qaadir A (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 26, 2015.