The longer you're exposed to a substance that causes occupational asthma, the worse your symptoms will become — and the longer it will take for them to improve once you end your exposure to the irritant. In some cases, exposure to airborne asthma triggers can cause permanent lung changes and lifetime asthma symptoms.
Jun. 12, 2014
- Occupational asthma. Tips to remember. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/occupational-asthma.aspx. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Malo J, et al. Occupational asthma: Clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Voelter-Mahlnecht SF. Occupational asthma. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2011;2:76.
- Bauer X, et al. The management of work-related asthma guidelines: A broader perspective. European Respiratory Review. 2012;21:124.
- Chan-Yeung M, et al. Occupational asthma: Definitions, epidemiology, causes and risk factors. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Standard interpretations. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=22340. Accessed Nov. 15, 2013.
- Chan-Yeung M, et al. Occupational asthma: Management, prognosis and prevention. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Fanta CH. An overview of asthma management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 15, 2013.
- National Asthma Education and Prevention Program: Expert panel report III: Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. Bethesda, Md.: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/asthma/asthgdln.htm. Accessed Nov. 15, 2013.
- Engler RJ, et al. Complementary and alternative medicine for the allergist-immunologist: Where do I start? Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2009;123:309.
- Breathing exercises and/or retraining techniques in the treatment of asthma: Comparative effectiveness. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. http://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/index.cfm/search-for-guides-reviews-and-reports/?productid=1252&pageaction=displayproduct. Accessed Nov. 20, 2013.
- Martin RJ. Alternative and experimental agents for the treatment of asthma. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 20, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.