Obesity is a complex disorder involving an excessive amount of body fat. Obesity isn't just a cosmetic concern. It increases your risk of diseases and health problems such as heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure.
Being extremely obese means you are especially likely to have health problems related to your weight.
The good news is that even modest weight loss can improve or prevent the health problems associated with obesity. Dietary changes, increased physical activity and behavior changes can help you lose weight. Prescription medications or weight-loss surgery also may be options for treating obesity.
May. 13, 2014
- Recognition of obesity as a disease. American Medical Association House of Delegates. http://www.ama-assn.org/assets/meeting/2013a/a13-addendum-refcomm-d.pdf. Accessed Nov. 4, 2013.
- Defining overweight and obesity. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/defining.html. Accessed Dec. 3, 2013.
- Jensen MD, et al. 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults. Circulation. In Press. http://content.onlinejacc.org/article.aspx?articleid=1770219. Accessed Nov. 17, 2013.
- Bray GA. Pathogenesis of obesity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- What are overweight and obesity? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/printall-index.html. Accessed Dec. 3, 2013.
- Bray GA. Etiology and natural history of obesity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- Bray GA. Health hazards associated with obesity in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- Understanding adult overweight and obesity. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/understanding.htm. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- Sacks F, et al. Comparison of weight-loss diets with different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydrates. New England Journal of Medicine. 2009;360:859.
- Moyer VA, et al. Screening for and management of obesity in adults: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2012;157:373.
- Bray GA. Drug therapy of obesity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- Blumberg RS, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Gastroenterology, Hepatology, & Endoscopy. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=55957514. Accessed November 16, 2013.
- Nelson DW, et al. Analysis of obesity-related outcomes and bariatric failure rates with the duodenal switch vs. gastric bypass for morbid obesity. Archives of Surgery. 2012;147:847.
- Weight loss and complementary health practices: What the science says. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/providers/digest/weightloss-science. Accessed Dec. 3, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.