Nonallergic rhinitis involves chronic sneezing or having a congested, drippy nose with no apparent cause. The symptoms of nonallergic rhinitis are similar to those of hay fever (allergic rhinitis), but there's no identified allergic reaction involved. Nonallergic rhinitis can affect children and adults, but is more common after age 20.
Although nonallergic rhinitis is more annoying than harmful, it can make you miserable. Triggers of nonallergic rhinitis symptoms vary and can include certain odors or irritants in the air, changes in the weather, some medications, certain foods, and chronic health conditions. A diagnosis of nonallergic rhinitis is made after an allergic cause is ruled out. This may require allergy skin or blood tests.
Feb. 19, 2013
- Nonallergic rhinitis (vasomotor rhinitis). American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/conditions-dictionary/nonallergic-rhinitis-vasomotor.aspx. Accessed Nov. 20, 2012.
- Greiner AN, et al. Overview of the treatment of allergic rhinitis and nonallergic rhinopathy. Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society. 2011;8:121.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed Nov. 20, 2012.
- Primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM): Prevention and control. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/preventioan.html. Accessed Nov. 20, 2012.
- Kaliner MA. Nonallergic Rhinopathy (formerly known as vasomotor rhinitis). Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2011;31:441.
- Schroer B, et al. Nonallergic rhinitis: Common problem, common symptoms. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2012;79:285.
- Bernstein JA, et al. A randomized, double-blind, parallel trial comparing capsaicin nasal spray with placebo in subjects with a significant component of nonallergic rhinitis. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2011;107:171.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.