No standard treatment for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease exists.
Instead, doctors typically work to treat the risk factors that contribute to your liver disease. For instance, if you're obese, your doctor can help you to lose weight through diet, exercise and, in some cases, medications and surgery.
Your doctor may recommend that you receive vaccinations against hepatitis A and hepatitis B to help protect you from viruses that may cause further liver damage.
April 10, 2014
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). American College of Gastroenterology. http://patients.gi.org/topics/fatty-liver-disease-nafld. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/info/nafld. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Chalasani N, et al. The diagnosis and management of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: Practice guideline by the American Gastroenterological Association, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and American College of Gastroenterology. Gastroenterology. 2012;142:1592.
- Molloy JW, et al. Association of coffee and caffeine consumption with fatty liver disease, nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and degree of hepatic fibrosis. Hepatology. 2012;55:429.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 16, 2013.
- Ludwig J, et al. Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: Mayo Clinic experiences with a hitherto unnamed disease. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 1980;55:434
- Venkatesh SK, et al. Magnetic resonance elastography of liver: Technique, analysis and clinical applications. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2013;37:544.
- ACIP Adult Immunization Work Group. Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommended immunization schedule for adults aged 19 years and older — United States, 2013. MMWR. 2013;62:13. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/su6201a3.htm?s_cid=su6201a3_w. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.