Nightmare disorder may cause:
Aug. 09, 2014
- Excessive daytime sleepiness, which can lead to difficulties at school or work, or problems with everyday tasks, such as driving and concentrating
- Problems with mood, if the anxiety from the dream continues to bother you
- Resistance to going to bed or to sleep for fear you'll have another bad dream
- Nightmares and sleep. National Sleep Foundation. http://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-disorders-problems/abnormal-sleep-behaviors/nightmares-and-sleep. Accessed May 27, 2014.
- Goldstein CA. Parasomonias. Disease-a-Month. 2011;57:364.
- Augedal AW, et al. Randomized controlled trials of psychological and pharmacological treatments for nightmares: A meta-analysis. Sleep Medicine Reviews. 2013;17:143.
- Sateia M. International Classification of Sleep Disorders. 3rd ed. Darien, Ill.: American Academy of Sleep Medicine; 2014. http://www.aasmnet.org/EBooks/ICSD3. Accessed May 20, 2014.
- Sleep-wake disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed May 30, 2014.
- Sleep-wake disorders. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psychiatry.org/dsm5. Accessed May 30, 2014.
- Carter KA, et al. Common sleep disorders in children. American Family Physician. 2014;89:368.
- In-lab sleep study. American Academy of Sleep Medicine. http://www.sleepeducation.com/disease-management/in-lab-sleep-study/overview. Accessed May 30, 2014.
- Haupt M, et al. Just a scary dream? A brief review of sleep terrors, nightmares and rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder. Pediatric Annals. 2013;42:211.
- Nightmares. American Academy of Sleep Medicine. http://www.sleepeducation.com/sleep-disorders/nightmares. Accessed May 30, 2014.
- Brain basics: Understanding sleep. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brain_basics/understanding_sleep.htm#dreaming. Accessed May 30, 2014.
- Silber MH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 25, 2014.
- Olson EJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 1, 2014.
- Kotagal S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 7, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.