The biggest risk factor for neurofibromatosis is a family history of the disorder. About half of NF1 and NF2 cases are inherited. The remaining cases result from spontaneous mutations that occur at conception.
NF1 and NF2 are both autosomal dominant disorders, which means that any child of a parent with the disorder has a 50 percent chance of inheriting the genetic mutation.
The inheritance pattern for schwannomatosis is less clear. Researchers currently estimate that the risk of inheriting schwannomatosis from an affected parent is about 15 percent.
Jan. 03, 2013
- Neurofibromatosis fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/neurofibromatosis/detail_neurofibromatosis.htm. Accessed Oct. 12, 2012.
- Torpy JM, et al. Neurofibromatosis. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2009;302:2170.
- Plon SE. Neurofibromatosis type 1 (von Recklinghausen's disease). http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Oct. 12, 2012.
- Evans DG. Neurofibromatosis type 2. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Oct. 12, 2012.
- Dashe JF, et al. Overview of schwannomatosis. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Oct. 12, 2012.
- Schwannomatosis. Neurofibromatosis Network. http://www.nfnetwork.org/understanding-nf/what-is-nf/schwannomatosis. Accessed Oct. 16, 2012.
- Ferner RE. The neurofibromatoses. Practical Neurology. 2010;10:82.
- Find a local chapter. Children's Tumor Foundation. http://www.ctf.org/Chapter-Resources/Find-a-Local-Chapter-or-Affiliate.html. Accessed Oct. 19, 2012.
- Local groups. Neurofibromatosis Network. http://www.nfnetwork.org/nf-community-near-you/local-groups. Accessed Oct. 19, 2012.
- Babovic-Vuksanovic D (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 26, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.